Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Inspirational Television

There are many unwatchable programs on HGTV, but among the dogs you will find a few cool cats, and I'd like to share the shows which have inspired me to take creative action. I am revealing my top 3 picks, based on the following criteria: Appeal, Affordability, Fun & Feasability. No snobbery allowed!

Number 3: Pure Design

Samantha Pynn and her associates at Pure Design have created some beautiful spaces in the program's first season and I am already looking forward to what they will show us next. The episodes focus on simple, appealing design with an eco-friendly attitude. Watch for it Tuesdays at 8 pm EST on HGTV.

Number 2: Top Design


Okay, I know Top Design could be compared to American Idol for interior designers, but it is fun to watch!! And the involvement of Jonathan Adler, Kelly Wearstler, Todd Oldham, India Hicks and Margaret Russell lends a high level of design credibility to the program.
Only 2 episodes have aired on HGTV Canada, so it's not too late to jump on the bandwagon and follow along. My favourite is Eddie Ross, he seems to have real talent. If you don't want to spoil the ending, DO NOT look at the Top Design website, since the winner has already been revealed in the U.S. Catch it Saturdays at 12 noon or 8 pm EST on HGTV.

Number 1a, 1b & 1c: Sarah's House, Design Inc. & Room Service

Master Bedroom, Sarah's House Season 2

Mary's Condo, Design Inc. Season 3

Fresh Look, Room Service Season 5

This may be several shows rolled into one winning combination, but at the helm of all 3 is my decor doppelganger, Sarah Richardson. I have followed Sarah's career through 5 seasons of Room Service, 4 seasons of Design Inc., and 2 seasons of Sarah's House. All of these programs provide endless design inspiration for fresh, uncluttered & enticing spaces. Sarah's House airs Tuesday nights at 9 pm EST on HGTV, followed by Design Inc. at 9:30 pm. As far as I'm aware, Room Service no longer airs, but the website provides excellent reference.
Coming to HGTV in spring 2009: Sarah's Cottage!!

Special Mention to the Runner-up: Peter Fallico's Home to Stay & Home to Flip

Be Inspired!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments, plus it lets me know that you're reading!! Leave your message here :-)