Monday, January 11, 2010

Architectural Period Rooms at the Met

One of the best things I did during my trip to New York City was visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The building is situated on the east side of Central Park and spans the length of four city blocks along 5th Avenue, from 80th to 84th Streets.

The elaborate Beaux-Arts facade of the Met:


Due to the museum's immense size, I knew I wouldn't be able to see everything in one day, so I opted to focus on the Greek and Roman collections, Egyptian Art, and Modern Art. However, while I was looking for the cafeteria, I was distracted by the elaborate period rooms displayed in European Decorative Arts.

These awe inspiring spaces literally made my jaw drop and took my breath away at the same time. As I wandered from one incredible room to the next, it occurred to me that interior design has been a part of culture for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. Experts can estimate a room's age by identifying certain design qualities common to the period.

Though decor trends come and go, one thing always remains the same, and that is our desire to make a house our home. Some homeowners want a place to kick back and relax, some want a space to entertain, and some want a home that reflects their wealth and social stature.

Formal Reception Room circa 1768-1772
Hotel de Tesse, Paris, France


Hotel Room, circa 1775-1778
Hotel de Cabris, Grasse, France


Hotel Room, circa 1769-1771
Palais Paar, Vienna, Austria


Hotel Room, circa 1740
Hotel Varengeville, Paris, France


Lauzun Room, circa 1770
Hotel Lauzun, Paris, France


Dining Room from Landsdowne House
Berkeley Square, London, England
Circa 1765-1768


Dining Room from Kirtlington Park
Oxfordshire, England
Circa 1748



All photos by CherishToronto

Unfortunately these photos don't do justice to the elaborate beauty of these rooms (no flash allowed in the galleries). If you're interested in learning more on the subject, check out this book, Period Rooms in the Metropolitan Museum of Art:


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments, plus it lets me know that you're reading!! Leave your message here :-)