Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Project Pantone: Colour Transformation

I believe I've set a personal best on this one - this project moved from concept to completion in just under two weeks! I first tweeted about my inspiration on the morning of January 4th:

I opened up the Benjamin Moore colour fan decks and immediately decided that I would paint my living room accent walls Springtime Bloom (2079-40). It's a beautiful shade of pink:


Things got pretty exciting when I remembered a fantastic fabric swatch I'd seen at Designer Fabrics almost one year ago. Knowing that I loved this bold print, I headed out on a slushy, snowy Saturday to purchase enough yardage for two toss cushions, plus another yard of a coordinating solid fabric. I spent Sunday afternoon sewing, and Phase One was soon complete:


Cushions sewn, I went back to the drawing board with the fan decks to search for an alternate pink. Springtime Bloom just wasn't the right shade to work with my chosen fabric. The best way to select a paint colour is by pulling colours from a great print, as opposed to the other way around:


After several days of dithering, I finally settled on two new colours. Spring Tulips for the coffee table base and Flamingo's Dream for the accent walls:



I chose to use Benjamin Moore Aura paint for the coffee table base since the strong colour would cover in two coats with the low VOC Aura, rather than three or four coats. When it comes to DIY projects, I'm all about getting the job done as quickly as possible.



I raised the table off the floor by placing the base on plastic containers. This made it easier to paint almost all the way to the bottom. I flipped it over afterward to do touch ups.



I spent a bitterly cold Sunday afternoon indoors applying paint to the walls, which isn't my favourite thing to do, but once I started, there was no turning back. This was my mid-afternoon freak out:


Now for the colour reveal. Drumroll please...


Now & Then



Now & Then



Now & Then




Now & Then



Project Cost Tally:

Fabric & Notions: $59.70
Paint & Supplies: $124.61
Labour: Me=Free
Total Spent: $184.31

What do you think of the new colour? Be honest!!

All photos by Pamela Graham for Cherish Toronto.

21 comments:

  1. Looks great! It is bright but happy. Proof of what a difference paint and a few different accents can make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You transformed your space from pretty yet austere to warm and cozy just by some paint and color accents. Both looks have their merits but the blue looks like a magazine set - bare and cold. The pink tones look just as finished but more inviting and textured. Sumptuous even. I liked the blue, but I love the honeysuckle makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it's so lovely! Very warm and cozy looking. Plus, pink is very flattering to your skin tone, so that mood lighting will be extra effective now! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you may be painting again in a year...It will make your skin tones look good while in the room, but I think you'll get bored with it. It's cold in Canada so it's probably good. I live in Los Angeles, and it's been done to death.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great job! Both colors are nice but the pink is warm. good going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for all of the lovely comments and compliments!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE IT! I got more and more excited to see the final result as I read through your post! The pink is bright and happy and warm and pretty, all rolled into one. And I love that you had the guts to paint your living room pink :-)

    The table base looks great too, and I love your inspiration fabric :-)

    {Thanks for your lovely comments about my laundry room :-) It took forever to get it done, but now it's finished and I can move on to finishing the dining room makeover :-)}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks wonderful, great job...
    only missing larger power pillows on the sofa

    ReplyDelete
  9. nicely done! I'm going thorugh the same process myself as well.. proud of you on the bold move with the accent wall and the table base!

    I will use "honeysuckle" in my pillows and art work for this spring... with accent in acid green. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks wonderful - fresh and pretty, such a lovely warm shade to brighten our grey weather.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love both! But since it's winter now, I love the pink one just a bit more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! It reminds me of the Royal Tenenbaum's pink. Such a happy color!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the pink, but I have to know what colour the blue is - I've been searching for something just that shade!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes! What shade was the blue?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Meaghan and Jen,
    The blue that I originally had on the walls was Benjamin Moore "Wedgewood Gray"(HC-146). Copy and paste this link for the BM Fan Deck:
    www.benjaminmoore.com/virtualfandeck

    ReplyDelete
  16. love this change... the color brightens the room - an amazing change.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love both rooms, it's hard to choose! Where did you get the awesome table lamp that arcs across the room?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Six,
    I've seen several different versions similar to the arc lamp I have in the living room. This particular one I purchased at Urban Essentials in Toronto on King Street East.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey,
    Heard about you through the post on Apartment Therapy. I'm a blog addict and read about 10 of them every day, and was so happy to find someone right at home! I, too, live in Toronto. I'm in the Bloor West Village area and work as a Home Stager. Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I found you via AT too. The thing I love is that you only really changed the colour and a few cushions, and it looks like a different room!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had come across these photos a couple times on AT but never hopped over to check out the rest. I love the new color, although this may be a little late! Oh and I'm your new Follower :)

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments, plus it lets me know that you're reading!! Leave your message here :-)