Thursday, August 25, 2011

Simple Gold Leaf DIY

Let's get one thing clear, I am not a DIY aficionado. I have almost zero patience for tedious and time consuming tasks, especially when I end up with less than stellar results, but this project turned out quite nicely, so I'm willing to share. Best of all, it was a really simple process.

The inspiration for this project came from a spread in Lonny Mag featuring Domicile I.D. (you may remember it from this post).



The first step in the project was to find a metal leaf wall hanging, and I found one at Homesense for $12.99. I forgot to take a photo of the before, but let's just say that it was an outdoorsy wrought iron painted white with some faux green patina. What I liked about it were the shape of the leaves and their layout along the vine.

Two coats of Rustoleum's metallic gold spray paint
gave it the Midas touch, but the leaves looked flat.


I decided to enhance the leaves by highlighting the
veins with a brown crafter's acrylic paint.


Et voila! Gold Leaf DIY done!!



Now I'm looking for other ways to use my golden touch!!

9 comments:

  1. Love it Pam! Great inspiration and DIY! Did you pick up a few and form a larger grouping? Love your wallpaper! Did you show that to us before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I love DIY's but I am with you I do not have the patience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! Especially pretty with that wallpaper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. It's wonderful against the wallpaper. What room did you hang it in?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Tim Thanks! The wallpaper went up in 2009...here is the post: http://cherishtoronto.blogspot.com/2009/03/so-far-so-good.html

    @Cindy Thank goodness this was such a quick & easy project.

    @Carol-Anne Thanks:-)

    @Heather The wallpaper and the new wall hanging are in my bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks gorgeous Pam! I've got this linked to my gold post too today, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pam. Do you know where I can buy Dutch Metal in Toronto?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoltan,
      I'm not sure where to buy Dutch Metal, but I would suggest starting at Michaels craft store. I hope you find what you need!

      Delete

I love receiving comments, plus it lets me know that you're reading!! Leave your message here :-)