Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Small Pieces


I've always thought of creating a comfortable home as a process, it rarely happens overnight (unless, of course, you have elves).  Time is spent gathering all of the pieces and then fitting them together just like a jigsaw puzzle. Some pieces are BIG and some pieces are small, but all of the elements have importance in the overall picture.

One of the small things I needed to take care of were new covers for the lumbar cushions that go on the living room slipper chairs. Since I love to tackle my own projects (let's be honest, I take on most of these projects to save $$), I figured I could whip up a pair. Sure, I had made these cushion covers before (see 2009 & 2011), but this time I wanted something a bit fancier...

...I wanted the cushions to have velvet on the front half, a woven graphic on the back half, a fold, sunburst gold buttons and an invisible zipper. I recently had a similar pair professionally sewn for the master bedroom, so I thought, "If someone else can do it, why can't I?" As it turns out, I can do it :-) Yay, me!!

Ta-Da!!!

 

Please take note of the invisible zipper, which I have now MASTERED:

6 comments:

  1. wow I need a blue velvet pillow....i don't think i have the skills to do it on my own! great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think I could do it either. There were MANY practice runs with the invisible zipper, and I skipped the buttonholes altogether, but they turned out okay in the end ;-)

      Delete
  2. I'm impressed! I've only tried to sew a zipper in once and it didn't end well, so the idea of doing an invisible zipper terrifies me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I wish I knew how to sew specifically so I could sew cushion covers to my hearts content! I even bought a sewing machine but I just can't figure it out. Luckily, there are 2 ladies I work with who have offered to sew them for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work Lady!!! These are stunning, I love the rich blue velvet and those fabulous buttons! So inspiring Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should do a how-to tutorial on this pillow! Love.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments, plus it lets me know that you're reading!! Leave your message here :-)